Running away from the city to enjoy the great outdoors is an excellent way to unwind and connect back to nature, but one of the best parts of camping can be cooking over an open fire. Though it may sound intimidating, campfire recipes can be prepared with simple ingredients, easy recipes and still taste delicious! Here are some must-have campfire recipes for your next camping trip!
Simple Ingredients, Easy Recipes
Although s’mores and hotdogs over the fire is a classic camping meal and we definitely encourage it, campfire meals can be so much more! The best thing you can do for yourself to make the process of cooking while camping a breeze is to prepare everything before you leave. Do all the chopping, shredding, marinating, pre-baking, blending and anything else that’s more accessible to do in a kitchen and then pack your prepped food into containers in coolers along with your beverages. The best way to cook over a campfire is just to pour ingredients into a pan and let the fire do the work!
Starting off the day with a filling, tasty meal and coffee made over the fire is a great way to guarantee you’ll have energy for whatever activities you’re up to in the morning. Here are a few great recipes for campfire breakfasts:
Full of protein and delicious, a campfire frittata requires these ingredients:
- Eggs, milk, cheese, olive oil
- Salt, pepper, basil
- Shallots, cherry tomatoes and any additional veggies you love
Similar to overnight oats, but with a protein and fiber-filled twist! You’ll need:
- Quinoa, coconut milk, water, apples, walnuts
- Cinnamon, salt, vanilla, maple syrup
There are many more breakfasts to consider on Fresh Off the Grid that you can add to your list!
Sandwiches and foil packs make terrific lunch options and are typically a hit with the kids. Here are a few of our favourites:
Opt for a no-pots and pans lunch with a foil packet of nachos instead! Here’s what you need to make them:
- Tortilla chips, cheese, sour cream, beef
- Taco seasoning, green chillies, tomatoes, black beans, onions, cilantro
Another recipe with easy cleanup and is so melty and delicious, you’ll want to go camping just to make these! What you will need:
- An Italian bread loaf, an assortment of salami or deli meats, provolone or your favourite cheese, mayonnaise
- Onion and garlic powder, black pepper, dried parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, red onions, pepperoncinis (these are optional if you have picky kids)
You can easily make these campfire recipes your own by adding or removing ingredients, don’t be afraid to get creative with your cooking!
After all of the adventure and outdoor play, a hearty dinner is the perfect way to wrap the day up nicely. Here’s what you’ll need for those hearty dinners:
An easy, one-pot recipe that’s so good, you’ll want seconds! You will need:
- Butter, oil, andouille sausage, kidney beans, white rice
- Salt and pepper to taste, onions, celery, green bell peppers, garlic, paprika, Creole or Cajun seasoning, parsley, a bay leaf
This recipe is often the one that repeats during camping excursions because it’s that good. For a cheesy, delicious end to your day you’ll need:
- Elbow macaroni
- Your favourite canned chilli
- A whole bunch of shredded cheddar cheese
Campfire cooking doesn’t have to be a difficult task and it can result in the tastiest meals. The stress of what to eat when you’re finished with a day at the beach can be exhausting, but not when it’s as easy as these recipes! You can cook all of these and more at one of our gorgeous glamping locations! Each site comes with a personal fire pit. What will you cook up next?